Charred Crawlspace

The home inspector was crawling under a San Jose home and while shining his flashlight, illuminated blackened subflooring and floor joists – he couldn’t believe his eyes.

Nearly all of the subflooring and crawlspace support structure was completely charred – think charcoal used for BBQs.

The home owner had no idea about the charred crawlspace and how lucky they were that the house didn’t burn down.

It was determined by investigators that electrical wiring in the crawlspace had been gnawed by rodents causing a fire to start.

Because of the large wood surface areas (flat subfloor, floor joists, cripple wall studs), the fire smoldered (burnt, but no flames) and crept along without full combustion – essentially producing charcoal.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25