Toddler Safety

During a Walnut Creek home inspection, the home inspector had just finished entering an inspection comment about the wide spacing between the vertical components of the guard railing.

The white vertical posts in the photo are called balusters. The spacing between balusters used to be 6” wide and small children were falling through or getting stuck.

As the inspector looked up, this little girl was pushing on an installed clear plastic barrier.

Without the barrier, this would have been a potential falling concern for the toddler.

Stricter building codes were passed to meet the 4” Sphere Rule: The general rule is to install balusters, so that a 4” sphere can’t pass through – protecting toddlers from falling.

Fogged Windows

As the Concord home inspector walked into the house, he noticed that some of the windows were ‘fogged’.

There’s a good chance windows have failed seals in homes built between 1986-1992 with dark frame dual pane windows.

During this time, window manufacturers didn’t have a good ‘recipe’ for making dual pane windows. Even today, a low quality window is susceptible to a failed seal.

The window seal is the perimeter spacer that keeps dual pane glass separated.

A hot sun can heat the air between the panes of glass, so the glass bows slightly outward and when the temperature cools at night, the window glass contracts. This is called solar pumping.

If cool moist air is present when a window is contracting, weak window seals fail, allowing moisture to enter the window.

The fogginess is dried moisture on the inside of the glass.

Schedule a home inspection by The House Whisperer – Mention that you’d like a Peace of Mind inspection and save $25.

Overfilled J-Box

As the home inspector looked in a Walnut Creek walk-in crawlspace,the inspector was amazed by the number of electrical wires stuffed into an electrical junction box.

A junction box or J-box is a place where wires are connected together, and there’s a maximum number of how many wires can fill the box.

Too many wires can cause dangerous over-heating, short circuiting, and electrical fire.

Junction boxes also require a cover and someone would be hard pressed to install a cover on this installation.

There’s nothing worse than an electrical fire to ruin your day.

Schedule an inspection with The House Whisperer – mention that you’d like a Peace of Mind inspection and save $25.

Hot Electrical Panel

A picture is worth a thousand words – the discolored wall is a sign of an electrical overload – over-heating and possible wood charring inside the wall.

Electrical circuit overloads can happen when more electricity is flowing across an electrical wire than it can handle.

Electrical overload can occur for a number of reasons: loose connections, too many lights and appliances being used on a single circuit, or water getting into the electrical panel.

This is a much bigger problem, as it appears that all of the electrical cables in the wall over-heated possibly due to lightening… or a failed transformer at the pole… or the incoming power lines touching due to an earthquake, a car hitting an electrical pole… or who knows what.

The home inspector highly recommended review by a licensed electrician prior to the close of the contingency period.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Horizontal Stucco Crack

In the past, stucco siding was plastered on the house walls and continued down over the foundation.

The top of the foundation is just below the ventilation screen seen at the right side of the photo and the house wall wood framing is bolted to the top of the foundation.

Along comes an earthquake and as it ‘rolls’ across the earth surface; it causes the house walls to move back and forth on top of the rigid foundation.

Since the stucco siding is also rigid and the house walls are moving back and forth, the stucco siding can crack horizontally near the top of the foundation.

This is considered a cosmetic condition and the recommendation is to have stucco cracks sealed to prevent water intrusion.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Growing Weeds

As the home inspector rounded the side of a Pleasanton home – there it was – a weed growing out of a downspout.

Gutters and downspouts are part of a drainage collection system designed to collect rain water from the roof and carry it away from the house.

Do you know how much water runs off a 2,000 square foot roof when it’s raining? If it rains one inch during a storm, approximately 1246 gallons of water flows into the gutters.

This downspout must have been clogged for considerable time before the sheet-metal downspout corroded through… and accumulated gutter debris decayed into a nutrient rich soil – and with a little water and a seed – the adage about weeds growing anywhere kicks in.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Potential Kitchen Fire

When is the last time you looked under your kitchen exhaust hood or at the air filter under the microwave oven above the cooking range?

A good home inspector looks under exhaust hoods and microwave ovens for greasy air filters.

Greasy air filter are a potential fire concern – especially, if someone cooks with a flame in the skillet.

Failing to change or clean a greasy air filter creates a number of potential hazards including increased greasy buildup on the interior of your exhaust hood, inside the microwave oven exhaust flue, on exterior surfaces of your kitchen cabinets and walls, countertops and floors.

Leaving grease filters in place too long dramatically increases the risk of fire entering duct work and spreading through a house.

The inspector’s recommendation: wash the air filter in the dishwasher or replace it.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Garage Disposal Power Cord

The garbage disposal is a device electrically powered and designed to shred food waste into tiny pieces small enough to pass through drain/waste plumbing.

The home inspector noted that the electrical black power cord passing through the bottom of a garbage disposal isn’t centered in the pass-through hole.

The power cord is missing a clamp or rubber grommet to keep the cord centered and away from the sharp edge of the housing.

Think about what you put under the kitchen sink: dish detergent, cleaning supplies, plastic containers, etc. Sometimes those items push against the power cord.

Over time it’s possible for the power cord insulation to chaff or wear through – the bottom line: an electrical power cord shorted to a metal housing and water don’t mix.

Did you know it takes about .015 amps (electrical current) across the heart to kill a person? There are approximately 1.5 amperes to the garbage disposal.

Take a minute to look under your garbage disposal.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Water Wins Again

Did you know that the older galvanized steel pipes in homes cause 90% of water flow problems.

After 35-50 years, steel pipes rust from the inside out.

As water passes through the steel pipes, corrosion deposits build up inside and partially block water flow. Some older pipes are so corroded that even a pencil would not fit through the center of the pipe.

In the home inspectors photo – the pipe has corroded through and is dripping water – a waste of natural resources.

Running water through a corroded pipe is turning off a water faucet and the water is becomes discolored due to iron oxide.

If you live in house plumbed with steel pipes and there’s low water flow – there’s a good chance that it may be time to re-plumb.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Sagging Floor Mystery 

A bedroom had been added onto a 55-year old San Leandro house. As the home inspector walked across the floor – there was a discernible sag/slope in the center of the room.

A large steel ball bearing was placed at the baseboard and it rolled slowly towards the center of the room in a spiral pattern – very odd.

The inspector entered the crawlspace under the bedroom sweeping the flashlight in front of him. What greeted his eyes was a wood support post, a concrete pier and footing floating above a large hole.

It turns out the bedroom had unknowingly been built over an abandoned Redwood septic tank where the lid had collapsed.

Before concrete, plastics, metal… early septic tanks were made from Redwood boards.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25