Seeing Red

The House Whisperer inspector went into the attic and came back down seeing red – under the air conditioning evaporator unit water containment pan – not a good sign.

Rusted water in the pan suggests that there’s been leakage every time the AC was turned on.

Whatever the reason for the corroded containment pan, a licensed HVAC service technician needs to review.

If left unchecked, the pan will eventually rust through leading to mold growth, ceiling water stains or water leakage in the room below.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

The S-Trap

The purpose of a plumbing trap under a sink is to prevent odorous sewer gases from entering the house back through the sink and tub drains.

There are two basic types of traps: P and S configurations – both have a trap section, which is a U-shape pipe where water sits in the U and creates a water seal, so that sewer gases at the street sewer system can’t move past the water.


The modern P-trap discharges water through a horizontal pipe through a wall… Whereas, the S-trap shown in the photo discharges water vertically down towards the floor.

The problem with “S” traps is that fast draining water from a sink or bathtub may siphon out the water seal and allow sewer gas to enter the house.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Roof Ridge Rot

This was a 10 year-old, heavy-duty asphalt shingle roof in Danville with a 40-year warranty.

Provided it’s safe, home inspectors climb onto roofs to look at the conditions.

The roof field looked great, but every single roof ridge shingle was deteriorated. Why?

Before roof manufacturers manufactured roof ridge shingles, roofers would take a standard organic asphalt shingle – remove the tabs – fold the shingle back on itself and use it as a ridge shingle.

These organic shingles would last 6-10 years due to the sun’s UV rays drying out the shingles and making them brittle.

Using a newer fiberglass shingle in this manner proved to last much longer.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Retaining Wall Woes

A section of this Castro Valley property retaining wall was leaning.

The three most common signs of imminent retaining wall failure are leaning, cracking and bulging.

The main cause of retaining wall failure is poor drainage at base of the retaining wall and no weep holes

A secondary cause of failure is not having a deep retaining wall footing (the concrete base in the ground that the wall sits on)

Engineering talk – When water accumulates behind a retaining wall, it pushes on the wall with a lot of force hydrostatic (water) pressure – thus the leaning section of retaining wall in the photo.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Spitting Water

The House Whisperer checks dishwasher drain cycles and routinely finds 15% of dishwasher drain hoses are blocked with food sludge or are kinked.

This causes water to spray out of the air gap device. What’s an air gap device?

It’s a small cylindrical fixture with slots, that’s installed between the dishwasher and the kitchen sink drain pipe or garbage disposal.

It sits on the sink deck or the kitchen countertop and is designed to prevent dishwasher drain water from flowing backwards into the dishwasher – a good thing since food particle bacteria is present in the drain hose.

If water flows out an air gap device, it’s a red flag.

Usually, there’s food blockage at the garage disposer connection, the drain line is kinked, or the knockout plug in the garbage disposal wasn’t removed during installation.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Rodent Hotel

With cold weather comes rats, raccoons, possums, mice, squirrels, birds and bats seek shelter and can find their way into attics and crawlspaces.

During a Blackhawk inspection, the home inspector discovered that wall insulation had been pulled down and shredded by visiting rodents.

Insulation makes great nesting material, which usually becomes contaminated with rodent droppings and urine – a health safety concern.

Rodents will chew through wood, plastic, PVC pipes, roof underlayment, rubber, electrical wiring, fiberglass insulation, and paper with great ease.

The threat to electrical wires is a serious fire-hazard. Many unexplained house fires are attributed to rodents in the attic or crawlspace.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Ka-Boom

This is a water heater temperature, pressure safety valve.

When something goes wrong within the water heater, the safety valve is designed to open and release high temperature water and excessive pressure through a discharge pipe to the exterior of the house.

Here, there is no discharge pipe and the safety valve was plugged, probably by a home owner who saw water dripping from the valve.

This is a recipe for disaster.

If the gas flame that heats the water in a gas-fired water heater fails to turn off at a set water temperature – the water temperature and tank pressure will increase – and at some point there will be an explosion of the tank.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Water Heater Lava

During a recent Pleasant Hill home inspection, the inspector discovered what you’d expect to see coming out of a volcano – lava.

This is the top of a water heater tank that’s heavily corroded and what happens when copper pipe is connected incorrectly to steel pipe.

Technical talk: this is called galvanic corrosion and refers to corrosion that occurs when two different metals are in electrical contact with an electrolyte.

Inspector talk: copper and steel are dissimilar metals and if not insulated from each other, corrosion can take place.

With a corroded pipe and water seepage – the photo made for a lava flow of sorts on top of the water heater.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Charred Crawlspace

The home inspector was crawling under a San Jose home and while shining his flashlight, illuminated blackened subflooring and floor joists – he couldn’t believe his eyes.

Nearly all of the subflooring and crawlspace support structure was completely charred – think charcoal used for BBQs.

The home owner had no idea about the charred crawlspace and how lucky they were that the house didn’t burn down.

It was determined by investigators that electrical wiring in the crawlspace had been gnawed by rodents causing a fire to start.

Because of the large wood surface areas (flat subfloor, floor joists, cripple wall studs), the fire smoldered (burnt, but no flames) and crept along without full combustion – essentially producing charcoal.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

AC Unit Attacked

During a Los Gatos home inspection, the inspector spotted a gaping hole in the outside air conditioning (AC) unit.

Upon closer inspection, the inspector knew that there had been several pit stops by a male dog.

Scent marking is a natural behavior that dogs use to mark territory and communicate with other dogs.

It turns out that dog urine acts as a strong alkali (corrosive substance) on the AC aluminum cooling fins and literally dissolves the metal.

The performance of the air conditioning system was compromised and cost a few thousand dollars to replace the unit.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25