Little White Block

Many people are injured by trips and falls in their own home.

Most homeowners don’t give interior stairs a second thought, but our certified home inspectors do.

When the inspector thought he’d seen it all – a little white block was spotted at the top of the stairs during a San Ramon home inspection.

An older wood stair baluster had been removed, leaving a ‘stump’ – a stair safety tripping concern and a home owners’ liability.

Count on The House Whisperer to identify health and safety conditions during their inspections.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Crawlspace Clothes Lint

As the home inspector made his way under a Concord house – he spotted a large accumulation of clothes dryer lint in the crawlspace.

Clothes dryer lint is microscopic clothes fibers and is highly flammable. This is considered a fire concern and doesn’t meet building requirements.

Lint ducts are required to terminate at the exterior of a house.

Did you know that clothes lint is used by campers needing tender to start a fire?

It turns out that lint and a spark or match produces a flame almost instantly.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Clothes Lint Red Flags

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates there are 15,000+ fires associated with clogged clothes dryer lint ducts.

The danger lies with the clothes dryer lint that builds up inside the lint duct between the clothes dryer and the outside termination.

Do you have any of these Red Flags?

  • Clothes take a long time to dry
  • Clothes come out hotter than usual
  • Excess lint accumulation behind the dryer

Our experienced home inspectors inspect clothes dryer lint ducts for these Red Flags – a fire safety concern.

  • Flexible through wall/floor
  • Missing, Deteriorated
  • Too many elbows
  • Wrong material
  • Accumulation
  • Disconnected
  • Damaged
  • Too long
  • Crushed
  • Vertical
  • Plastic

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Not a Bright Idea

The home inspector during a Berkeley home inspection spotted this electrical safety concern.

Illumination is a requirement in a bathroom bathtub and/or shower area, so you can see what you are doing – a good idea.

Installing an unprotected light bulb fixture above the showerhead – not a bright idea.

The surface temperature of a 60-watt incandescent light bulb can approach 260F degrees. Water splashing on a hot light bulb can cause the bulb to explode… littering the shower pan or bathtub with glass shrapnel and possibly injuring someone or worse.

In the inspection report: We highly recommend review by a licensed electrician prior to the close of the contingency period.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Jaws of Destruction

One of the biggest threats of having rodents in your attic – is that they gnaw on electrical wires. 

Squirrels, rats and mice are all rodents. Their teeth grow non-stop like your fingernails. Just like a cat that scratches its claws to keep them in check and we trim our nails; rodents gnaw to keep their teeth short and sharp.

If an electrical wire outer jacket is chewed through and exposes the copper wires, the rodent is usually electrocuted and a fire can start.

The next thing you know the kitchen lights aren’t working or the fire department has been called.

Schedule an inspection – mention “I’d like a peace of mind inspection” – Save $25

Toddler Safety

During a Walnut Creek home inspection, the home inspector had just finished entering an inspection comment about the wide spacing between the vertical components of the guard railing.

The white vertical posts in the photo are called balusters. The spacing between balusters used to be 6” wide and small children were falling through or getting stuck.

As the inspector looked up, this little girl was pushing on an installed clear plastic barrier.

Without the barrier, this would have been a potential falling concern for the toddler.

Stricter building codes were passed to meet the 4” Sphere Rule: The general rule is to install balusters, so that a 4” sphere can’t pass through – protecting toddlers from falling.